Welcome to the Choosing a Toy Guide series. If you haven’t already done so, we recommend reading Choosing a Toy Guide – The Basics first. It provides general information about all types of toys. In this section, we discuss Body Molds & Dolls and things to consider when shopping for them.
Body Molds and Dolls simulate the experience of being with a real partner. They can be as simple as an inflatable doll to a weighty (over 10 lbs) CyberSkin body part molded from the genitals of a real porn star.
Things to consider:
- Inflatable Dolls are sometimes a joke, but sometimes not. Often purchased with the intent of playing a practical joke on someone (bachelor party anyone?) most inflatable dolls have 3 holes meant to actually be used. Unlike Sleeves, they can provide a closer simulation of being with a partner.
- Don’t judge a doll by its box. The picture on the cover is of a pretty actress, but the doll is just a large plastic inflatable with a face painted on. If you want something solid or more realistic, look at the Body Molds
- Missionary, doggie style, or…? Inflatable dolls don’t have movable joints like people do, so they come in different poses. Most have straight bodies while some have bended legs making them good for doggie style penetration.
- Have the best of both worlds. Some toys combine the best of Inflatable Dolls and Body Molds. The main body inflates to create a life-size figure, but it has some solid body parts (usually genitals and head) to provide a realistic feeling during sexual play.
- Body Molds are as close as you can get to the real thing because they’re made from molds of actual porn stars. Usually taken from their vagina or ass, these toys are designed for penetration with built-in sleeves.
- Size = Price. The material that body molds are made from is expensive stuff. Genital molds are small, and therefore less expensive than molds of the entire buttock and genital region. The more material involved, the higher the price, but the more you’ll have to hold onto while using it.
- Vibrations are an option. Some body molds have egg-type vibrators that fit inside to add to the experience. Even if they don’t come with one, it’s possible to buy a bullet vibrator and insert it into the far end of the shaft under the body mold. This turns any body mold into a vibrating pleasure toy.