Welcome to the Choosing a Toy Guide series. If you haven’t already done so, we recommend reading Choosing a Toy Guide – The Basics first. It provides general information about all types of toys.
Most handheld clitoral vibrators are battery powered, portable, and compact for travel. In addition to stimulating the external clitoris and outer lips, some can be inserted an inch or so to stimulate the vaginal entrance.
Things to consider:
- Not all toys of this type looks like a sex toy. If you are put off by the phallic look of most vibrators or just want a toy that looks fun and unusual, you should check out toys in this section that look like rubber duckies, elegant balls, and simple cones.
- They can be quiet, perfect for living with the parents, in dorm rooms, or in apartments with thin walls.
- These vibes are fairly small and easily hidden. This is very convenient for travelers, people with nosy roommates, or couples with children.
- The two most common clitoral stimulator styles are known as bullets and pocket rockets. Bullet vibes are small oblongs (hence the comparison to a bullet) and are sometimes incorporated as part of a larger toy. Pocket rockets look like a large spark plug and are named after Doc Johnson’s The Original Pocket Rocket, the first toy of this design. Because it was such a popular design, many companies now make similar toys.
- Some toys concentrate the vibrations in a small area while others spread out the sensations across the labia. There are even some that are cupped so that they touch all around the clitoris without actually touching it. Each woman is different in what she likes, so explore what feels best to you.
Beyond bullets and pocket rockets are massagers. Massagers are more like household appliances than a typical adult store novelty. Because they plug in instead of using batteries, they have more power (a lot more power!) than other toys and you’ll never have to worry about the battery dying while using it. As a bonus, they’re also effective at massaging your back, neck, or other sore muscles.
Things to consider regarding massager toys:
- These toys are loud! If you have roommates or others in the house, they will know that you are using one of these toys.
- These toys can be used for more than just intimate areas. In fact they are often sold as muscle massagers. If you’re worried about roommates hearing you use it, you can tell them all about your bad back (or sore feet or whatever.)
- Attachments are available that convert the large, blunt head into an insertable shaft.
- Some of these plug into the wall, but newer styles are rechargeable and can be used in the shower.
- Massagers have more power than any battery-powered toy. This is fantastic if you like a high-powered toy. However, some women find it too powerful and don’t enjoy the experience.