Welcome to the Choosing a Toy Guide series. If you haven’t already done so, we recommend reading Choosing a Toy Guide – The Basics first. It provides general information about all types of toys.
Also known as hands-free vibrators, wearable clitoral stimulators are small vibrators designed to rest against the clitoris using elastic straps, special underwear, or another attachment method. They can be used alone, or to provide unobtrusive vibration during vaginal penetration, or under clothing for private pleasure in a public setting.
Things to consider:
- The toy designs vary widely. Some are strapped on with elastic straps. Some come with panties with a special pocket for the vibe, while others have one part that fits inside the vagina while the vibrator rests outside against the clit.
- This style of toy is called a “butterfly” vibrator, because many (but not all) of them are shaped like a butterfly.
- The size of the vibrator makes a big difference. A large one spreads the vibrating sensations all over the clitoral area, but the toy might get in the way during intercourse (or at least limit possible angles and positions), and they can be too large to wear beneath clothing discreetly. Small ones concentrate the energy in a tight area while leaving free access for intercourse.
- Remotes are either wireless or corded.
- Power makes a big difference. Small, wireless toys that use cell batteries are not usually as powerful as vibes that come with corded remotes. Rechargeable wearables are the most powerful, yet are small enough to offer the most versatility.